Tuesday, June 9, 2015


Hello prospective students,

                         My name is Justin Smith and I am entering my Sophmore year at Governors State University. In my first year of college I was very involved with lots of  school clubs and activities. I was in the Black Student Union, the secretary of the Trans4mation Gospel Choir (TGC), and now I am the newly elected president of the International Culture Organization (ICO). Governors State offers a wide variety of student clubs, conferences, and activities. I strongly encourage any student who attends GSU already, or any student who will be attending GSU to get involved. Here are 3 reasons you should get involved.

1.) It opens the doors to meeting new people.

Starting at new school can be scary at first, especially when you don't know anyone. When you join clubs it forces you to be social and meet new people. You will not only meet people with similar interest as you, but you will meet people of different likes and interest. It will force you to diversify, and when you diversify, you multiply. Instead of just your usual circle of friends you will now be able to reach different cultures and people you normally wouldn't speak to. This will help you in your future careers as well. It doesn't matter if you are going into business, nursing, music, or whatever. Diversity is needed. Getting involved with our student clubs will teach diversity.

2.) It WILL lead to new opportunities.

When you diligently serve in an organization people notice. Nothing you do is "too small" and everything goes noticed. Committing yourself to an organization and being an excellent follower will make a path for you to be a great leader. From my personal experience, my ability to serve, and to be a follower landed me in a presidential position. I decided to try a new club my freshmen year. It was going to be something I was not used to, but I did not know what. After some recruitment I decided to join the International Cultural Organization (ICO). The club teaches and promotes diversity, and being international while highlighting all of the cultures. I began volunteering for the ICO events and helping out where I could. I would go to the president all the time and say things such as "do you need me to do anything?" "What can I do to help?" I kept assisting and following and learning. Towards the end of the semester, members of the ICO board were encouraging me to run for a leadership position for the club. After a while of hesitation I decided to. I ran for president and got elected president. Now I am a voice for international students and I am developing leadership skills. 

3.) Being involved will teach you how to be professional. 

Being involved with clubs will teach you how to be professional and how to operate in the "real world." Being in these clubs will teach you skills you can apply to your life, and your life as a professional. Some of the skills you can/will learn will  be time management, meeting etiquette, diversity, budgeting, and effective communication skills. The structure of the clubs is  designed to teach professionalism and excellence. 

While clubs and activities are great to be apart of, it's important to balance your club(s) with your school work. Sometimes you may only be able to participate in one club. When you establish a balance in the clubs and with your school work then you will win. GET INVOLVED!

No comments:

Post a Comment